Friday, May 2, 2008

RADON TESTING

Radon is a cancer-causing, radioactive gas. You can't see radon. And you can't smell it or taste it. But it may be a problem in your home. Radon can be found all over the U.S. Radon comes from the natural (radioactive) breakdown of uranium in soil, rock and water and gets into the air you breathe. It can get into any type of building - homes, offices, and schools - and result in a high indoor radon level. But you and your family are most likely to get your greatest exposure at home, where you spend most of your time.

The only way to know if your home has unsafe levels of Radon is to test for it. You will have to find out the best way to test in your individual state, but if you live in Utah you can go here to learn more about it and go here to order a testing kit for $12 from the Utah Department of Environmental Quality. You set it up in your home and then after 90 days you send it in to get the results. I ordered mine about 2 weeks ago!

*You can also hire a qualified tester to do the testing for you. I just figured I would do the test on my own first and if the levels were high I would hand it over to professionals at that point.

2 comments:

Amy said...

You'll have to let us know how you liked the in-home kit!

Tina said...

Hi Karen~

Thank you so much for the tip! I just ordered a test kit for our home as well. I never would have done that except that I read your blog.