Thursday, October 30, 2008

PLAY KITCHENS


Gourmet Kitchen from Pottery Barn Kids

Little Tikes Cook n' Grill (front and back pictures)
KidKraft Silver Retro Kitchen online at Walmart
Step 2 50's diner


I am normally pretty decisive when it comes to buying my son toys, but there are so many options it can be overwelming. I decided I want to buy him a play kitchen awhile back when I saw how much fun he had with them when we went over to friends/relatives homes. I will admit it took me awhile to warm up to the idea of buying my son a kitchen, but really kitchens aren't that girly (unless they are pink), and he loves playing with them so I decided to start the search. I LOVE the new gourmet kitchen from Pottery Barn Kids, but just can't justify the cost. I can't decide between the other kitchens you see pictured. I love the new KidKraft silver retro kitchen but if I am being honest with myself I think my son will have more fun with the Retro Kitchen or the Cook n' Grill so he can BBQ like Dad.
So..I need your vote/advice. What do you think would be best to buy or what have you seen your kids/grandkids/friends/neighbors enjoy?
**There is also the Little Tikes Sizzle n' Serve kitchen that has a grill as well. It and the Cook n' Grill are around $140 right now at Toys R' Us. The Retro kitchen is $120 at Walmart.com and the Step 2 50's diner is on sale for $130 from Toys R' Us.
If you want to look at even more gender neutral kitchens you can read a post here about them.

11 comments:

Sorensen Family said...

You and I are on the same page! Ive been debating whether or not to buy my sons a kitchen. Everytime they are around one, they love to play with one. I had no idea that there was a kitchen with a grill set up on the back, so I would probably get that one! That is my vote! Where can you get that one? Do you know a price?

Brittany said...

I think they are all cute. We ended up buying two. The first one we bought was made by Step 2. It is similar to the front of the little tyke one. My girls fought like crazy because there just wasn't enough space for the both of them. So then we bought the pink ones from costco. (Similar to the silver retro one) They love it because it's spread out, and they both can be playing next to each other. My vote is the grill one (because there are two sides) or the silver retro kitchen!

Karen Scoffield said...

Sorensens,
I updated the post with some pricing and a few more options for you. Good luck!

Brooke Franco said...

Hi Karen! It's Brooke Franco (Brittany Newbolds sisiter) I had this debate two years ago. I have two boys and the same thing they love to play with the kitchen's. We ended up getting the Little Tikes Cook n' Grill. they love it!

M.S. said...

I wish we all could afford the Pottery Barn one. I like the grill one more than the 50's diner. I was lucky to be given a used kitchen for my girls. I ended up donating it to a day care when they were "done with it". Now I wish I had one for my youngest! Maybe that is a good gift for her!

Angie said...

I debated FOREVER about which kitchen to buy my girls. I ended up getting one from Costco (similar to the Wal-Mart one, but pink and with a fridge). Both my girls absolutely love it, but they love any kitchen at anyone's house they play at. If I had to decide again, I think I would go with one of the "plastic" ones like from little tikes or something. It seems like they have more things to open and close, etc. But either way, I think that most kids have fun with any kitchen set!!

Melissa said...

Karen,
I've been debating between a train table or a play kitchen for our boys. I want them to share their big Christmas present. I really like the KidKraft Deluxe Let's Cook Kitchen. You can search and view it at Amazon.com. Let me now which you decide to go with. I like the one with the grill on the back too, however it would stick out more so both sides could be used verses the other type that could be put flat up against a wall.

Colorado Smarts said...

We have several kitchen pieces and lucked out because my dad built them for us. However, with other houses that we've been to, it doesn't really matter what kitchen you get as long as there is enough room for everyone and you have dishes/food. One piece of advice that I do have it don't buy the cheapest plastic food because it gets dented in and is a waste of money.

Chelsea said...

I agree with you on the PB one- I love it and am also looking for one for Tate, but I cannot afford that! There are also some cute ones at Land Of Nod online.

Crystal Valentine Garner said...

I am SO in the same boat with you. We are looking for one for Christmas and just can't decide what's the best bang for the buck! Have you decided yet? Let me know if you have. Have you seen the Retro Red one at Costco-it's way cute! It just doesn't have lots of sounds and stuff-but they have an imagination so...Hmmm? The dilemna lives on!

The Good Life said...

I don't know you but men are grillers...just sayin!